DKM Is Betting on You to Be a Leader in Vegas by Allen J. Casey
The theories regarding the nature and character of leaders are legend. Leaders are born. Leaders are made. Leaders are visionaries. Leaders are risk takers. In fact, leaders are all of these and more. But, no matter the characterization, no matter the individual's respective abilities, the ultimate key to every leader's success is opportunity. The opening of the door to participate, to collaborate, to contribute enhances the odds of leadership success. ACB promotes opportunity through service on the board and a variety of committees as well as the recognition of two individuals each year as Durward K. McDaniel First-Timers.
In recognition of the life and work of ACB pioneer Durward McDaniel, ACB and the DKM First-Timer committee will recognize two future leaders as DKM First-Timers, one from east and one from west of the Mississippi River. The 2014 first-timers will be introduced during the opening session of the national conference and convention in Las Vegas.
Eligible applicants must meet each of the following criteria:
- Age 18 or older;
- Blind or visually impaired;
- Member in good standing of ACB;
- Never attended a previous national conference and convention.
Additionally, the eligible applicant will submit two letters to the committee:
- Personal narrative outlining the applicant's background, participation in and contributions to ACB and the respective affiliate and a statement of the importance of selection to the applicant's affiliate and community;
- Letter of recommendation from the president of the applicant's state or special-interest ACB affiliate.
It is important that eligible applicants provide complete contact information including home address, telephone number and e-mail address. DKM First-Timers are expected to be active participants in convention sessions.
Application materials should be forwarded to Francine Patterson in the ACB national office, email@example.com. The deadline for receipt of all materials is April 1. Questions should be addressed to DKM chair Allen Casey, firstname.lastname@example.org.