Please take a few moments to review the instructions before proceeding to the online application.
This will ensure you have submitted all required documentation in a timely manner.
Please copy the instruction page prior to proceeding so that you may reference them as needed.
Scholarship Application Instructions
The American Council of the Blind scholarship application process must be completed online.
Online applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. (CST) Friday, February 15, 2019.
Please do not leave any questions blank. Incomplete forms will NOT be considered.
You will need to include the following documents with your completed application:
- Certification of legal blindness from an ophthalmologist, optometrist or physician. (This hard-copy letter may be mailed.) Legal blindness is defined as an individual who cannot see better than 20/200 in the best eye with glasses or contact lenses or whose visual field in the best eye is 20 degrees or less at the widest diameter with glasses or contact lenses.
- Official certified transcripts from the school you are currently attending. Entering freshmen will need to include their high school transcripts and graduate students will need to include undergraduate transcripts. Unless extenuating circumstances exist, a 3.0 cumulative grade point average is required. (This hard-copy letter may be mailed.)
- Two letters of recommendation from a current or recent instructor, career counselor or employer. (Only Microsoft Word or rich text formats will be accepted; these may be emailed separately to: email@example.com.)
- Proof of acceptance from a post-secondary school. Entering and transferring students must submit a notice or letter from the admissions office certifying acceptance or consideration for admission. If this is not available when the application is submitted, it must be submitted as soon as it is available. Students continuing at the same school attended during 2018-2019 will not need to submit this document. (Only Microsoft Word or rich text formats are preferred; this item may be emailed separately to firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Only the application supplements which cannot be emailed must be mailed and postmarked no later than Friday, February 15, 2019, to:
American Council of the Blind Scholarship Program
Attn: Nancy Christine Feela
6300 Shingle Creek Parkway, Suite 195
Brooklyn Center, MN 55430
If you wish to make sure your application information was received, you may call Nancy Christine Feela at (612) 332-3242 between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. (CST).
Your scholarship information will be shared with your state affiliate of ACB unless you request that it not be shared.
The scholarship application contains several essay-type questions.
If you cannot allow yourself enough time to complete it in one sitting you will want to create a user login and password which allows you to save your application as a draft and return to it later.
If you already have a user login you do not have to create another one.
To create a user log in, visit www.acb.org/user/register. Provide your first name and last name, create a username, add your email address, and then click on create new account.
A member request will be sent to the ACB administrator who will respond back to you within 24 hours providing a temporary password to use when logging into the ACB website.
- Go to acb.org. Click the Sign In link. This brings up the Membership Page where you can enter the user name you created and the temporary password.
- Click Log in.
- At the top of the page under User menu click on 2019 ACB Scholarship Application link.
- This brings you to ACB’s Scholarship application.
- Complete the required information and if you need to exit, click on Save Draft.
You should then be able to logout and return to the site at another time and finish the application.