Volume LIV August 2015 No. 2
Published by the American Council of the Blind
Be A Part of ACB
The American Council of the Blind (TM) is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at 1-800-424-8666.
Contribute to Our Work
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6300 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 195, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB by the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
Check in with ACB
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the “Washington Connection” 24/7 at 1-800-424-8666, or read it online.
Listen to ACB Reports by downloading the MP3 file from www.acb.org, or call (231) 460-1061 and choose option 3. Tune in to ACB Radio at www.acbradio.org or by calling (231) 460-1047.
Learn more about us at www.acb.org. Follow us on Twitter at @acbnational, or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AmericanCounciloftheBlindOfficial.
© 2015 American Council of the Blind
Melanie Brunson, Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
2200 Wilson Blvd., Suite 650, Arlington, VA 22201
Table of Contents
- The ACB E-Forum, August 2015 downloads
- President’s Message: Comcast: An Industry Leader in Accessibility, by Kim Charlson
- An Academic Challenge, by Mark B. Lasser
- Transitioning to College: Nine Essential Tips for Students with Visual Impairments, by Pat Ryan
- Ups and Downs, by Deon Lyons
- Do You Have a Pulse? If Not, You Will Want One After Reading This, by Scott Davert
- Product Evaluations and Guides: Dolphin Guide from Dolphin Computer Access: A Suite of Access Programs That Simplify Computer Use, by Jamie Pauls
- Notice to the Older Blind: It’s Time We Took Control of Our Future, by Carl Jarvis
- How to Get More Members Actively Participating in Your Affiliate, compiled by Ardis Bazyn
- Cruises for People Who Don’t Like Cruises, by Sue Bramhall
- Affiliate News
- Here and There edited by Sharon Strzalkowski
- High Tech Swap Shop
- ACB Officers, ACB Board and Board of Publications
- Accessing Your ACB Braille and E-Forums
Are You Moving? Do You Want to Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org. Give her the information, and she'll take care of the changes for you.
ACB Radio has a new and improved web site; come see for yourself at www.acbradio.org.
Blind show hosts offer a plethora of musical genres at www.acbradio.org/interactive.