Volume LVIII January 2020 No. 7
Published by the American Council of the Blind
Be A Part of ACB
The American Council of the Blind (TM) is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at 1-800-424-8666.
Contribute to Our Work
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6300 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 195, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB by the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
Check in with ACB
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the “Washington Connection” 24/7 at 1-800-424-8666, or read it online.
Listen to ACB Reports by downloading the MP3 file from www.acb.org, or call (518) 906-1820 and choose option 8. Tune in to ACB Radio at www.acbradio.org or by calling (518) 906-1820.
Learn more about us at www.acb.org. Follow us on Twitter at @acbnational, or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AmericanCounciloftheBlindOfficial.
© 2020 American Council of the Blind
Eric Bridges, Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
1703 N. Beauregard St., Suite 420, Alexandria, VA 22311
Table of Contents
- President’s Message: New Year’s Resolutions, by Dan Spoone
- 2020 Tours in Schaumburg, by Janet Dickelman
- Lights, Camera, Action! Apply to Become a 2020 Recipient of the DKM First-Timers Award, by Kenneth Semien Sr.
- Call for Nominees for 2020 ACB Awards, by Deb Trevino and Debbie Rozear
- The BOP Seeks to Award Excellence, by Deb Cook Lewis
- SMART, SMARTER, or SMARTEST: What Kind of Goals Would You Like to Achieve?, by Linda Bollé
- Limitless Learning, by Sue Lichtenfels
- It’s Funny How Jokes, Humor Work, by Larry P. Johnson
- Summary of ACB Board of Directors Conference Calls, by Deb Cook Lewis
- MMS Wants You, by Jean Mann
- Affiliate News
- Involving At-Large Members, compiled by Ardis Bazyn
- Here and There, edited by Sharon Strzalkowski
- High Tech Swap Shop
- ACB Officers, ACB Board of Directors, ACB Board of Publications
- Accessing Your ACB Braille and E-Forum
Are You Moving? Do You Want to Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, [email protected]. Give her the information, and she’ll make the changes for you.
Keep up with the most important ACB news and announcements without any other chatter. Subscribe to the ACB Announce listserv. Send a blank e-mail to [email protected], or visit www.acblists.org/mailman/listinfo/announce and type your email address and name where indicated.
ACB Radio Mainstream has blindness-related news you can use at www.acbradio.org/mainstream.
Got a request? Tune in to ACB Radio Interactive and ask the DJ on duty to play it for you at www.acbradio.org.