Volume LIX January 2021 No. 7
Published by the American Council of the Blind
Be A Part of ACB
The American Council of the Blind (TM) is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at 1-800-424-8666.
Contribute to Our Work
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6200 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 155, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB by the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
Check in with ACB
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the “Washington Connection” 24/7 at 1-800-424-8666, or read it online.
Learn more about us at www.acb.org. Follow us on Twitter at @acbnational, or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AmericanCounciloftheBlindOfficial.
© 2020 American Council of the Blind
Eric Bridges, Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
1703 N. Beauregard St., Suite 420, Alexandria, VA 22311
Table of Contents
- President’s Message: New Year’s Reflections, by Dan Spoone
- Pull Out Your Calendars and Update the Convention Dates!, by Janet Dickelman
- Explore, Elevate and Achieve: Apply to Become a 2021 Recipient of the DKM First-Timers Award, by Kenneth Semien Sr.
- Rhythms of Leadership! Apply to Become a 2021 ACB/JPMorgan Chase Leadership Fellow, by Kenneth Semien Sr.
- Call for Nominees for 2021 ACB Awards, by Deb Trevino and Debbie Rozear
- The BOP Seeks to Award Excellence, by Deb Cook Lewis
- I Don’t Want to Go to That Stupid School for the Blind!, by Dr. Ronald E. Milliman
- My Mother Was a Braille Transcriber, by Jean Mann
- Help Revive Braille!, by Paul Edwards
- The Joys and Challenges of Learning Braille
- In Memoriam: Lawrence W. “Larry” Turnbull, July 31, 1970-Oct. 31, 2020
- Here and There, edited by Cynthia G. Hawkins
- ACB Officers, ACB Board of Directors, ACB Board of Publications
- Accessing Your ACB Braille and E-Forums
Are You Moving? Do You Want to Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org. Give her the information, and she’ll make the changes for you.
Keep up with the most important ACB news and announcements without any other chatter. Subscribe to the ACB Announce listserv. Send a blank email to email@example.com, or visit www.acblists.org/mailman/listinfo/announce and type your email address and name where indicated.
ACB Radio Mainstream has blindness-related news you can use at www.acbradio.org/mainstream.
Keep up with the haps when affiliates stream conventions at www.acbradio.org/live.