Volume LX November 2021 No. 5
Published by the American Council of the Blind
Be A Part of ACB
The American Council of the Blind™ is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at 1-800-424-8666.
Contribute to Our Work
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6200 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 155, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB by the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
Check in with ACB
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the “Washington Connection” 24/7 at 1-800-424-8666, or read it online.
Listen to ACB Reports by downloading the MP3 file from www.acb.org, or call (518) 906-1820 and choose option 8. Tune in to ACB Media at www.acbmedia.org or by calling (518) 906-1820.
Learn more about us at www.acb.org. Follow us on Twitter at @acbnational, or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AmericanCounciloftheBlindOfficial.
© 2021 American Council of the Blind
Eric Bridges, Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
1703 N. Beauregard St., Suite 420, Alexandria, VA 22311
Table of Contents
- President’s Message: I Love the Help, But It Drives Me Crazy When …, by Dan Spoone
- Fun Facts about Nebraska, by Janet Dickelman
- Holiday Shopping at the Mini Mall, by Carla Ruschival
- Vision Loss Thoughts, by Yvonne Miller
- One of My Greatest Fears, by Patti Cox
- ACB — Like a Button Box?, by Zelda Gebhard
- Karaoke Helps Me Find Joy Again, by Darian Slayton Fleming
- A Brief Overview of Blindness in South Africa, by Jeremy Opperman and Lois Strachan
- A Visit to the National Memorial for Peace and Justice, by Lisa Bryant
- Affiliate News
- Here and There, edited by Cynthia G. Hawkins
- High Tech Swap Shop
- ACB Officers, ACB Board of Directors, ACB Board of Publications
- Accessing Your ACB Braille and E-Forums
Are You Moving? Do You Want to Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, [email protected]. Give her the information, and she’ll make the changes for you.
Join the American Council of the Blind for the inaugural launch of the ACB Audio Description Awards Gala on November 18, 2021 – Celebrating in our own words!