Volume LII August 2013 No. 2
Published by the American Council of the Blind
The American Council of the Blind strives to increase the independence, security, equality of opportunity, and to improve quality of life for all blind and visually impaired people.
Kim Charlson, President
Melanie Brunson, Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
2200 Wilson Blvd.
Arlington, VA 22201
fax: (703) 465-5085
Web site: http://www.acb.org
The Braille Forum (TM) is available in braille, large print, half-speed four-track cassette tape, data CD, and via e-mail. Subscription requests, address changes, and items intended for publication should be sent to Sharon Lovering at the address above, or via e-mail to [email protected].
The American Council of the Blind (TM) is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at the number listed above.
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6300 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 195, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB via the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the "Washington Connection" toll-free at (800) 424-8666, 5 p.m. to midnight Eastern time, or read it online.
American Council of the Blind
All content created initially for use by ACB in publications, in any media on any web site domains administered by ACB, or as a broadcast or podcast on ACB Radio, archived or not, is considered to be the property of the American Council of the Blind. Creative content that appears elsewhere originally remains the property of the original copyright holder. Those responsible for creative content submitted initially to ACB are free to permit their materials to appear elsewhere with proper attribution and prior notification to the ACB national office.
Table of Contents
- ACB E-Forum August 2013 downloads
- ACB Announces Election of Its First Woman President
- Changes to Come in the ACB National Office by Melanie Brunson
- A Fond Farewell to Columbus by Janet Dickelman
- American Council of the Blind Announces Audio Description Awards by Joel Snyder, Director, Audio Description Project
- The PR Committee's Affiliate Brochure Contest … And the Results! by Sharon Lovering, Gaylen Floy, and Sara Conrad
- Weight Watchers Announces Accessibility Initiative for Blind and Visually Impaired Members
- Landmark Decision a Victory for All Blind Canadians by Donna J. Jodhan
- Different Views: Don't Let Blindness Rob You by Ernest Jones
- Beyond Basic Medicare: Understanding Medicare Supplemental Coverage by Ron Pollack
- If It's Not Broke, Why Fix It? The State of our Guide Dog Training in the U.S. by Dan Kysor
- In Memoriam: Leroy Johnson
- Affiliate News
- Letter to the Editor
- Here and There edited by Sharon Strzalkowski
- High Tech Swap Shop
- ACB Officers, Board of Directors and Board of Publications
Forum Subscription Notes
You can now get "The Braille Forum" by podcast! To subscribe, go to "The Braille Forum" page on www.acb.org. If you do not yet have a podcast client, you can download one from the Forum page.
To subscribe to "The Braille Forum" via e-mail, go to www.acb.org/mailman/listinfo/brailleforum-L.
Are You Moving? Do You Want To Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, [email protected]. Give her the information, and she'll take care of the changes for you.
ACB Radio's Main Menu is the talk of the town when it comes to technology; check it out at www.acbradio.org.
Want to stream your convention? ACB Radio can help you out; write to [email protected].