Volume LIX August 2020 No. 2
Published by the American Council of the Blind
Be A Part of ACB
The American Council of the Blind (TM) is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at 1-800-424-8666.
Contribute to Our Work
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6300 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 155, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB by the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
Check in with ACB
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the “Washington Connection” 24/7 at 1-800-424-8666, or read it online.
Learn more about us at www.acb.org. Follow us on Twitter at @acbnational, or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AmericanCounciloftheBlindOfficial.
© 2020 American Council of the Blind
Eric Bridges, Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
1703 N. Beauregard St., Suite 420, Alexandria, VA 22311
Table of Contents
- President’s Message: 100-Year Opportunity for Significant Change, by Dan Spoone
- Like Polio, COVID-19 Will Be Beat, by Larry P. Johnson
- The Kindness and Generosity of Neighbors, by Jessica Mandich
- Virus or Victim: Where Is the Balance?, by Arturo Espinoza
- COVID-19 and Blindness: Why the New Touchless, Physically Distant World Sucks for People with Visual Impairment, by Nicholas A. Giudice, Ph.D.
- The What, Why, When, Where, and How of Diaphragmatic Breathing, by Linda Bollé
- Pick a Peck of Pandemics, by Paul Edwards
- ‘The End of October,’ by Lawrence Wright: A Review, by Penny Reeder
- Book Review: ‘When Your Ears Can’t Help You See,’ by David Faucheux
- Beginning Again, by Ann Chiappetta
- Cavemen, Christians, and Civilized Society: Labels Categorize, Separate, and Demean, by Anthony Corona
- Affiliate and Committee News
- Here and There, edited by Cynthia G. Hawkins
- High Tech Swap Shop
- ACB Officers, ACB Board of Directors, ACB Board of Publications
- Accessing Your ACB Braille and E-Forums
Are You Moving? Do You Want to Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, email@example.com. Give her the information, and she’ll make the changes for you.
Keep up with the most important ACB news and announcements without any other chatter. Subscribe to the ACB Announce listserv. Send a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit www.acblists.org/mailman/listinfo/announce and type your email address and name where indicated.
Keep up with the haps when affiliates stream conventions at www.acbradio.org/live.
Got a request? Tune in to ACB Radio Interactive and ask the DJ on duty to play it for you at www.acbradio.org.