Volume LVIII December 2019 No. 6
Published by the American Council of the Blind
Be A Part of ACB
The American Council of the Blind (TM) is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at 1-800-424-8666.
Contribute to Our Work
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6300 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 195, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB by the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
Check in with ACB
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the “Washington Connection” 24/7 at 1-800-424-8666, or read it online.
Listen to ACB Reports by downloading the MP3 file from www.acb.org, or call (518) 906-1820 and choose option 8. Tune in to ACB Radio at www.acbradio.org or by calling (518) 906-1820.
Learn more about us at www.acb.org. Follow us on Twitter at @acbnational, or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AmericanCounciloftheBlindOfficial.
© 2019 American Council of the Blind
Eric Bridges, Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
1703 N. Beauregard St., Suite 420, Alexandria, VA 22311
Table of Contents
- President’s Message: Traveling Across the Pond, by Dan Spoone
- Puzzle Pieces Coming Together for 2020 Convention in Schaumburg, by Janet Dickelman
- It’s a Mini Mall Holiday, by Carla Ruschival
- Vision Around the World, by Sandra Sermons
- Blindness: A Global Perspective, by Allen Casey
- Canada: Consumerism in an Agency-Dominated Land, by John Rae
- The Situation of the Blind and Visually Impaired in Germany – An Overview, by Peter Brasse
- Traveling to Ireland – The Trip of a Lifetime, by Judy Presley
- Audio Description: An International Phenomenon, by Joel Snyder
- Why Go to See Live Theatre If You Are Blind? by Maribel Steel
- We Have Come So Far, But …, by Paul Edwards
- Affiliate News
- Here and There, edited by Sharon Strzalkowski
- High Tech Swap Shop
- ACB Officers, ACB Board of Directors, ACB Board of Publications
- Accessing Your ACB Braille and E-Forums
Are You Moving? Do You Want to Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, [email protected]. Give her the information, and she’ll make the changes for you.
Keep up with the most important ACB news and announcements without any other chatter. Subscribe to the ACB Announce listserv. Send a blank e-mail to [email protected], or visit www.acblists.org/mailman/listinfo/announce and type your email address and name where indicated.
All blind musicians, all the time at the ACB Radio Café, www.acbradio.org/cafe.
ACB Radio’s Main Menu is the talk of the town when it comes to technology; check it out at www.acbradio.org.