Volume LIX February 2021 No. 8
Published by the American Council of the Blind
Be A Part of ACB
The American Council of the Blind (TM) is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at 1-800-424-8666.
Contribute to Our Work
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6200 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 155, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB by the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
Check in with ACB
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the “Washington Connection” 24/7 at 1-800-424-8666, or read it online.
Learn more about us at www.acb.org. Follow us on Twitter at @acbnational, or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AmericanCounciloftheBlindOfficial.
© 2021 American Council of the Blind
Eric Bridges, Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
1703 N. Beauregard St., Suite 420, Alexandria, VA 22311
Table of Contents
- President’s Message: Audio Description and ACB Celebrate Good Times, by Dan Spoone
- A Final Piece of Information from the 2020 Convention, by Janet Dickelman
- Join Us on a New Leadership Journey: Apply to Become a 2021 Recipient of the DKM First-Timers Award, by Kenneth Semien Sr.
- In Memoriam: James J. Megivern, July 2, 1931-December 16, 2020
- We’re Making a Place for Charlie Crawford on ACB’s Wall of Angels, by Penny Reeder
- ACB’s Audio Description Project: What We’ve Accomplished, by Joel Snyder
- All about the Audio Description Project Website, by Fred Brack
- Audio Description: What It Means to Me, by Erika Wolf
- Paradigm Shift: Audio Description Your Way, by Carl Richardson
- Audio Description Snobbery, by Roy Samuelson
- Commercials with Audio Description: It’s About Time People Who Are Blind Are Considered within the Advertising Dollar, by Kim Charlson
- Here and There, edited by Cynthia G. Hawkins
- Tune In to God’s Audio Description, by Chaplain Timothy Burdick
- High Tech Swap Shop
- ACB Officers, ACB Board of Directors, ACB Board of Publications
- Accessing Your ACB Braille and E-Forums
Are You Moving? Do You Want to Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, [email protected]. Give her the information, and she’ll make the changes for you.
Keep up with the most important ACB news and announcements without any other chatter. Subscribe to the ACB Announce listserv. Send a blank email to [email protected], or visit www.acblists.org/mailman/listinfo/announce and type your email address and name where indicated.
ACB Radio Community is home to both live and pre-recorded content from ACB-sponsored community events. Come share, learn and grow with us at http://acbradio.org/community.
There are now two versions of ACB Radio Mainstream — Mainstream East (all times Eastern) and Mainstream West (all times Pacific). Check them out at http://acbradio.org/mainstream.