Volume LII July 2013 No. 1
Published by the American Council of the Blind
The American Council of the Blind strives to increase the independence, security, equality of opportunity, and to improve quality of life for all blind and visually impaired people.
Mitch Pomerantz, President
Melanie Brunson, Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
2200 Wilson Blvd.
Arlington, VA 22201
fax: (703) 465-5085
Web site: http://www.acb.org
The Braille Forum (TM) is available in braille, large print, half-speed four-track cassette tape, data CD, and via e-mail. Subscription requests, address changes, and items intended for publication should be sent to Sharon Lovering at the address above, or via e-mail to [email protected].
The American Council of the Blind (TM) is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at the number listed above.
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6300 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 195, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB via the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the "Washington Connection" toll-free at (800) 424-8666, 5 p.m. to midnight Eastern time, or read it online.
American Council of the Blind
All content created initially for use by ACB in publications, in any media on any web site domains administered by ACB, or as a broadcast or podcast on ACB Radio, archived or not, is considered to be the property of the American Council of the Blind. Creative content that appears elsewhere originally remains the property of the original copyright holder. Those responsible for creative content submitted initially to ACB are free to permit their materials to appear elsewhere with proper attribution and prior notification to the ACB national office.
Table of Contents
- ACB E-Forum July 2013 downloads
- President's Message: A Turn of the Page by Mitch Pomerantz
- ACB Information Access Committee Chair Testifies Before Senate HELP Committee by Melanie Brunson, with Eric Bridges and Brian Charlson
- 2013 Conference and Convention: Discovering How to Stay in Touch by Janet Dickelman
- World News and Information Now Available on ACB Radio by Marlaina Liebert
- Remembering Janiece by Peter Altschul
- Readers' Memories of Janiece Petersen Kent
- In Memory of Patricia La France Wolf, A True Friend by Teddie-Joy Remhild
- Readers' Memories of Pat Wolf
- Update from GDUI on Guide Dog Schools
- Can Medicare Save Money for Beneficiaries & Taxpayers Alike? by Ron Pollack
- How to Encourage Newly Blind Individuals That It's OK to be Blind compiled by Ardis Bazyn, ACB Membership Chair
- Repeated Interaction Is the Best Way to Understand Disabled by Larry P. Johnson
- It's What You Do with What You Got by Carl Jarvis
- Paddling for a Cure by Sharon Lovering
- The If/Then Promise
- Affiliate News
- Letter to the Editor
- Here and There edited by Sharon Strzalkowski
- High Tech Swap Shop
- ACB Officers, Board of Directors and Board of Publications
Forum Subscription Notes
You can now get "The Braille Forum" by podcast! To subscribe, go to "The Braille Forum" page on www.acb.org. If you do not yet have a podcast client, you can download one from the Forum page.
To subscribe to "The Braille Forum" via e-mail, go to www.acb.org/mailman/listinfo/brailleforum-L.
Are You Moving? Do You Want To Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, [email protected]. Give her the information, and she'll take care of the changes for you.
ACB Radio's Main Menu is the talk of the town when it comes to technology; check it out at acbradio.org.
All blind musicians, all the time at the ACB Radio Café, www.acbradio