Volume LXI June 2023 No. 12
Published by the American Council of the Blind
Be A Part of ACB
The American Council of the Blind™ is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at 1-800-424-8666.
Contribute to Our Work
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6200 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 155, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB by the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
Check in with ACB
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the “Washington Connection” 24/7 at 1-800-424-8666, or read it online.
© 2023 American Council of the Blind
Dan Spoone, Interim Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
225 Reinekers Ln., Suite 660, Alexandria, VA 22314
Table of Contents
- President’s Message: 30 Years of Convention Reflections, by Deb Cook Lewis
- Chicago to Become a Safer, More Accessible City, by Ray Campbell
- Convention 2023: It’s Not Too Late to Register!, by Janet Dickelman
- Seeking Volunteers for the 2023 Information Desk, by Vicky Prahin
- The Audio Description Project: Exciting Convention Plans!, by Tabitha Kenlon
- Join Us in July by Stepping Out With ACB!, by Katie Frederick
- Affiliate News
- ACBDA Peer Mentor Relations Program, by Elizabeth Oleksa
- How Affiliates Can Set Goals They Can Accomplish, compiled by Ardis Bazyn
- Learning about Spring State Conventions, compiled by Ardis Bazyn
- How to Start an ACB Chapter or Special-Interest Affiliate in Your State, by Frank Welte
- Summary of the March 9, 2023 Meeting of the ACB Board of Directors, by Penny Reeder
- Ship Shaped or Ship Shocked: There Are None So Blind as Those Who Are at Sea!, by Janet Di Nola Parmerter
- Our Greatest Challenge Can Be Our Greatest Reward, by Malissa Hudson
- Letter to the Editor
- Here and There
- High Tech Swap Shop
- ACB Officers, ACB Board of Directors, ACB Board of Publications
- Accessing Your ACB Braille and E-Forums
Upcoming Forum Themes and Deadlines
August 2023: theme: travel; deadline: June 23, 2023
September 2023: convention wrap-up issue; deadline: July 24, 2023
October 2023: employment/vocational rehabilitation/training/White Cane Safety Day; deadline: August 25, 2023
Are You Moving? Do You Want to Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, [email protected]. Give her the information, and she’ll make the changes for you.