Volume LX October 2021 No. 4
Published by the American Council of the Blind
Be A Part of ACB
The American Council of the Blind™ is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at 1-800-424-8666.
Contribute to Our Work
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6200 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 155, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB by the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
Check in with ACB
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the “Washington Connection” 24/7 at 1-800-424-8666, or read it online.
Listen to ACB Reports by downloading the MP3 file from www.acb.org, or call (518) 906-1820 and choose option 8. Tune in to ACB Media at www.acbmedia.org or by calling (518) 906-1820.
Learn more about us at www.acb.org. Follow us on Twitter at @acbnational, or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AmericanCounciloftheBlindOfficial.
© 2021 American Council of the Blind
Eric Bridges, Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
1703 N. Beauregard St., Suite 420, Alexandria, VA 22311
Table of Contents
- President’s Message: It’s All About the Perfect Key Lime Community Pie, by Dan Spoone
- Summary of the July 16, 2021 Meeting of the ACB Board of Directors, by Penny Reeder
- On to Omaha, by Janet Dickelman
- Moving Forward after COVID: Renewing, Rebuilding and Enhancing Ridership, by Patrick Sheehan
- How I Nearly Became Roadkill on a Routine Trip to the Doctor, by Chris Millsap
- If Separate Is Not Equal, Then What about Paratransit?, by Ron Brooks
- Why Restructure ADA Paratransit?, by Daveed Mandell
- Accessing Transit Services Is More Than Wheels on the Road; There’s Also Feet on the Pavement, by Barbara Salisbury
- Letter to the Secretary of the Department of Transportation
- How to Reach People Without or Uncomfortable with Technology, compiled by Ardis Bazyn
- Affiliate News
- Here and There, edited by Cynthia G. Hawkins
- ACB Officers, ACB Board of Directors, ACB Board of Publications
- Accessing Your ACB Braille and E-Forums
Are You Moving? Do You Want to Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, [email protected]. Give her the information, and she’ll make the changes for you.