Volume LIV March 2016 No. 9
Published by the American Council of the Blind
Be A Part of ACB
The American Council of the Blind (TM) is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at 1-800-424-8666.
Contribute to Our Work
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6300 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 195, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB by the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
Check in with ACB
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the “Washington Connection” 24/7 at 1-800-424-8666, or read it online.
Listen to ACB Reports by downloading the MP3 file from www.acb.org, or call (605) 475-8154 and choose option 3. Tune in to ACB Radio at www.acbradio.org or by calling (605) 475-8130.
Learn more about us at www.acb.org. Follow us on Twitter at @acbnational, or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AmericanCounciloftheBlindOfficial.
© 2016 American Council of the Blind
Eric Bridges, Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
1703 N. Beauregard St., Suite 420, Alexandria, VA 22311
Table of Contents
- ACB National Office Gets Change of Venue
- Tony Stephens Appointed Director of Advocacy and Governmental Affairs of the American Council of the Blind, by Eric Bridges
- President’s Message: Transportation — Everyone Has to Deal with It!, by Kim Charlson
- Legislative Priorities for 2016, by Tony Stephens
- Helpful Hints for Attending the Convention, by Janet Dickelman
- Call for Nominees for 2016 ACB Awards!, by Chelle Hart and Chip Hailey
- A Q & A for DKM and Leadership Awards, by Allen Casey
- A Walk of 10,000 Steps, by Donna Brown
- We Miss You, Mr. Speicher, by James Kracht and Paul Edwards
- Remembering Ward Bond, Feb. 29, 1940-Nov. 29, 2015, by Penny Reeder
- Affiliate News
- Developing a Plan for Recruitment, compiled by Ardis Bazyn
- Here and There, edited by Sharon Strzalkowski
- High Tech Swap Shop
- ACB Officers, Board of Directors and Board of Publications
- Accessing Your ACB Braille and E-Forums
Are You Moving? Do You Want to Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, [email protected]. Give her the information, and she’ll take care of the changes for you.
ACB Radio has a new and improved web site; come see for yourself at www.acbradio.org.
Blind show hosts offer a plethora of musical genres at www.acbradio.org/interactive.