Volume LIV April 2016 No. 10
Published by the American Council of the Blind
Be A Part of ACB
The American Council of the Blind (TM) is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at 1-800-424-8666.
Contribute to Our Work
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6300 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 195, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB by the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
Check in with ACB
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the “Washington Connection” 24/7 at 1-800-424-8666, or read it online.
Listen to ACB Reports by downloading the MP3 file from www.acb.org, or call (605) 475-8154 and choose option 3. Tune in to ACB Radio at www.acbradio.org or by calling (605) 475-8130.
Learn more about us at www.acb.org. Follow us on Twitter at @acbnational, or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AmericanCounciloftheBlindOfficial.
© 2016 American Council of the Blind
Eric Bridges, Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
1703 N. Beauregard St., Suite 420, Alexandria, VA 22311
Table of Contents
- President’s Message: What You Didn’t Know about Stevie Wonder’s ‘Braille Joke’ at the Grammys – The Motown Legend Is Also a Legendary Advocate for Literacy, by Kim Charlson
- 2015 Annual Giving Societies Report Card, by Tom Tobin
- How to Register for ACB: Land of 10,000 Dreams, by Janet Dickelman
- Let the Race Begin!, by Donna Brown
- Would You Like to Work at the 2016 Information Desk?, by Vicky Prahin
- Friends-in-Art Seeks Your Art for Its Annual Show, by Amy Monthei
- Making the Transition from English Braille to UEB, by Jamie Pauls
- The Things I Do Today, Part 2: Listening from On High, by Paul Edwards
- Sharing Tools for Affiliates/Chapter Leaders, compiled by Ardis Bazyn
- In Memoriam: Dorothy “Dot” Taylor, 1925-2015, by Carol Francisco
- Affiliate News
- American Foundation for the Blind Board Names Kirk Adams as Its Next President and CEO
- Here and There, edited by Sharon Strzalkowski
- High Tech Swap Shop
- ACB Officers, Board of Directors and Board of Publications
- Accessing Your ACB Braille and E-Forums
Are You Moving? Do You Want to Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, [email protected]. Give her the information, and she’ll take care of the changes for you.
All blind musicians, all the time at the ACB Radio Cafe, www.acbradio.org/café.
Want to stream your convention? ACB Radio can help you out; write to [email protected].