Volume LVI - July 2017 - No. 1
Published by the American Council of the Blind
Be A Part of ACB
The American Council of the Blind (TM) is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at 1-800-424-8666.
Contribute to Our Work
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6300 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 195, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB by the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
Check in with ACB
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the “Washington Connection” 24/7 at 1-800-424-8666, or read it online.
Listen to ACB Reports by downloading the MP3 file from www.acb.org, or call (605) 475-8154 and choose option 3. Tune in to ACB Radio at www.acbradio.org or by calling (605) 475-8130.
Learn more about us at www.acb.org. Follow us on Twitter at @acbnational, or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AmericanCounciloftheBlindOfficial.
© 2017 American Council of the Blind
Eric Bridges, Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
1703 N. Beauregard St., Suite 420, Alexandria, VA 22311
Table of Contents
- A Message from the President: JPMorgan Chase/ACB Leadership Fellows Class of 2017, by Kim Charlson
- Local Motors Brings Advocates and Innovators Together to Meet Olli, by Tony Stephen
- Staying Connected in Sparks, by Janet Dickelman
- How I Dealt with Choreography, by Kelsey Nicolay
- Last Show of the Season, by Marcia Springston Dillon
- Quiet Heroism of Amazing People, by Larry P. Johnson
- Instant Braille Translator Can Fit in Your Hand
- Book Review: Giving a Listen to The Untold Story of the Talking Book, by Bill Holton
- Here and There, edited by Sharon Strzalkowski
- High Tech Swap Shop
- ACB Officers, Board of Directors and Board of Publications
- Accessing Your ACB Braille and E-Forums
Are You Moving? Do You Want to Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, [email protected]. Give her the information, and she’ll make the changes for you.
Keep up with the most important ACB news and announcements without any other chatter. Subscribe to the ACB Announce listserv. Send a blank e-mail to [email protected], or visit www.acblists.org/mailman/listinfo/announce and type your e-mail address and name where indicated.
Want to listen to the ACB convention? To hear the general sessions, go to http://acbradio.org/mainstream. For the workshops, go to http://acbradio.org/live. And if you want to listen to the Friends-in-Art Showcase, go to http://acbradio.org/cafe.