The American Council of the Blind believes that every human deserves dignity and respect. During these times when our voices seem sequestered by the weight of social distance, we loudly affirm our core values, echoing the collective voice of like-minded organizations who labor daily to dismantle the structural barriers that stand in the way of equal opportunity and full inclusion in our society.
Our hearts cry out in pain for the family of George Floyd and for all those victims of social and racial injustice. ACB calls upon our leaders to exercise peace and justice in a manner that embraces our mutual connectedness and lifts up the voices of those silenced by the systemic barriers rooted in historic and blatant prejudice.
ACB was founded on the democratic principle that every individual deserves to have a voice. Taking our core values to heart, let us learn from these challenging times so that we may become stronger as a nation.
ACB’s Core Values Are:
- Integrity & Honesty — That we may have justice for all;
- Respect — That we may all be treated equal;
- Collaboration — That we may work together where ever we may stand;
- Flexibility — That we are willing to change for the common good;
- Initiative — That we not give up, no matter how difficult the obstacles ahead may be.
Let us all be a voice for equality, and in the spirit of disability rights advocate Justin Dart, may we all “Lead on."