by Katie Frederick
As members of the American Council of the Blind, we are responsible for electing a slate of individuals who will lead and guide the organization. In preparation for elections at the 2023 ACB conference and convention, individuals interested in running are invited to participate in the following activities and events. Here are some dates to keep in mind, with more in-depth explanations following.
- May 15: Submissions for the candidates’ web page are due.
- June 1: Candidate’s web pages are posted and announced. Candidate’s ACB Media promos are due (optional).
- June 14: Candidates’ Forum takes place via Zoom and ACB Media.
The ACB Candidates’ Web Page
If you plan to run for any ACB elected position, the ACB Candidates’ Page is where you can introduce yourself, post links to your social media pages, and provide responses to the following questions. (Please note: Your response to each question will be cut off at 300 words; ACB’s Board of Publications will not edit your responses for spelling or grammar.)
- Introduce yourself, indicate which position you seek, and explain why you wish to serve in this position.
- What do you consider to be your strongest contribution to ACB at either the national, state, special-interest affiliate or local chapter level and why?
- What do you consider to be the most important challenge facing ACB? How will you work to address it?
Instructions for Candidates’ Page Submissions
- You must be an ACB member in good standing.
- Submissions must be in Word, text file, or in the body of an email.
- Send email, Word or text file submissions to [email protected] with the subject line “Candidates’ Page Submission.”
- The deadline for all Candidates’ Page submissions is May 15, 2023 at 4 p.m. Eastern. Late submissions will NOT be accepted.
- All candidates who submit information are invited to produce a promotional announcement to air on ACB Media.
Get to Know the Candidates at the Candidates’ Forum
All candidates who post information to the ACB Candidates’ Page will receive an invitation to participate in the ACB Candidates’ Forum June 14 at 8 p.m. Eastern via Zoom and streaming on ACB Media. Join to meet the candidates, to ask questions and hear their responses. Please note: You must register as a candidate on the ACB Candidates’ Page in order to participate in the ACB Candidates’ Forum as a candidate.
All ACB members, whether attending the annual conference and convention in person or virtually, have the opportunity to vote. Participating in the Candidates’ Web Page and Candidates’ Forum are important vehicles for informing our membership!