Volume LX May 2022 No. 11
Published by the American Council of the Blind
Be A Part of ACB
The American Council of the Blind™ is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at 1-800-424-8666.
Contribute to Our Work
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6200 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 155, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB by the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
Check in with ACB
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the “Washington Connection” 24/7 at 1-800-424-8666, or read it online.
Listen to ACB Reports by downloading the MP3 file from www.acb.org, or call (518) 906-1820 and choose option 8. Tune in to ACB Media at www.acbmedia.org or by calling (518) 906-1820.
Learn more about us at www.acb.org. Follow us on Twitter at @acbnational, or like us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/acbnational.
© 2022 American Council of the Blind
Eric Bridges, Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
1703 N. Beauregard St., Suite 420, Alexandria, VA 22311
Table of Contents
- President’s Message: Crisis, Chaos, Opportunity and Optimism, by Dan Spoone
- Convention Registration Information and Sneak Preview, Part 2, by Janet Dickelman
- Walking Everywhere, by Donna Brown
- Volunteer at the Information Desk in Omaha, by Vicky Prahin
- Extra, Extra, Read All About It in the Goldenrod Gazette
- Affiliate News
- When Initials Mean More Than One Thing, by Michael Byington
- How Kindness Taught Me a Lesson in Resilience, by Melody E. Holloway
- Fix Your Computer Problems When You Aren’t a Wizard, by Deborah Armstrong
- Accessibility for Some: Why Have Low-Income Blind Americans Been Left Behind?, by Daveed Mandell
- Notice of Proposed Settlement of Class Action and Fairness Hearing
- Here and There, edited by Cynthia G. Hawkins
- High Tech Swap Shop
- ACB Officers, ACB Board of Directors, ACB Board of Publications
- Accessing Your ACB Braille and E-Forums
Are You Moving? Do You Want to Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, [email protected]. Give her the information, and she’ll make the changes for you.
Save The Date!
Join us on November 17, 2022 at the 2nd Audio Description Awards Gala! ACB brings back the Barry Awards, celebrates industry leaders, and expands awareness on the power of audio description. And you can enjoy it from the comfort of your own home! Follow @ADAWardsGala on Twitter or visit the website for updates as the event draws near, www.adawardsgala.org.