ACB Furry-Tails, Presented by Sunday Edition and GDUI
There have been so many memorable moments and people in the American Council of the Blind over the last 60 years, but there have been so many Furry Skilled Professionals who live in our hearts and memories. Sunday Edition is partnering with GDUI for a program to recognize some of these amazing guides. This year in Omaha during the national convention, join us as we remember and honor these wonderful dogs and their handlers.
How will Furry-Tails work? Sunday Edition will collect nominations from now through May 15th. Then a committee from GDUI and Sunday Edition will select 10 Furry-Tail recipients to be awarded at the convention. A paw-shaped plaque will be awarded to the handler or their representative, and a testimonial will be placed on the Furry-Tails webpage that will be created for this awesome program. Pictures and video testimonials will be recorded for the program, and the handlers will have the opportunity to address the program attendees to remember their special furry professionals. Additionally, Sunday Edition will highlight the awardees on the weekly program in August.
Submissions should include:
- A written testimonial of 500 to 750 words, including the story of said furry professional with anecdotes and accomplishments. Please include any memorable moments from the life of the nominee.
- Who is the handler and who will represent the handler and nominee at convention;
- A bright, clear picture of the nominee and one of the team; and
- Any folks who wish to share stories and memories of the nominee.
Please send your nominations by May 15th to [email protected], and put “Furry-Tails Nominee” in the subject line.
Want to Showcase Your Talent?
Once again, FIA’s Showcase of the Performing Arts will be a highlight of ACB’s 2022 conference and convention. And once again, the Showcase will be virtual. Interested in being included? Read on for details!
Please send material you want to be included in the Showcase to [email protected].
Materials might include:
- Music: Any style; original material especially welcomed. Your selection may either be sent as an e-mail attachment, or you may send us a link from which the piece can be uploaded. Please accompany your musical selection with your name, city/state, e-mail address, and a brief description of the piece that you are sending (to be used to introduce the piece).
- Prose/poetry. Original works preferred, especially if read by the author. Your work may either be sent as an e-mail attachment, or you may send us a link from which the performance can be uploaded. Please accompany your work with your name, city/state, e-mail address, and a brief description of the work that you are sending (to be used to introduce the performance).
Deadline: May 20, 2022
In order to make it more likely that your selection will be included in the Showcase, please note:
- Each selection should not exceed five minutes, including the description of the work you are asking us to consider.
- We will consider including two contrasting short works if together they do not exceed five minutes.
- We prefer up-tempo to slow, but will consider anything.
- This is family entertainment; no profanity, please.
- We aim for a show of around 20 selections of varying styles. Originality, professionalism, and flair count.
- Please note that the ACB Media production team reserves the right to do editing or audio processing at their discretion in order to assure that the audience will get a high quality broadcast.
Authors: if you need assistance recording your work, we might be able to assist. Please email us as soon as possible at [email protected].
The Showcase is scheduled to air on Friday, June 24, at 7:30 p.m. Eastern. We will contact you well before then to let you know if you will be included in the show and/or if we need additional information.
If you have questions, email us at [email protected].
Thanks for your interest. We look forward to receiving your material.
Emergency Vet Assistance for Guide Dogs in Maine
Pine Tree Guide Dog Users (PTGDU) recently received a grant that enables the organization to provide its members with financial assistance of up to $2,500 to help defray the high costs associated with the diagnosis and treatment of a seriously ill or injured guide dog. For more details about the fund and its requirements, or to join Pine Tree Guide Dog Users, please visit www.PineTreeGuideDogUsers.org or email [email protected].
AAVL Cookbook Available
Does a cookbook with more than 165 mouthwatering recipes contributed by members and friends of the Alliance on Aging and Vision Loss, including main dishes, desserts, holiday favorites, and much more, sound appetizing to you? If so, the AAVL Cookbook, “The Food of Our Times” is just what you need!
This special collection is available now in two formats for just $20. The electronic version will entitle you to two downloadable versions: Microsoft Word and accessible PDF.
There are currently six copies of the non-UEB (aka “regular”) braille that are looking for a good home and ready to ship right away. Others will be ordered and shipped as soon as possible.