Volume LXII October 2023 No. 4
Published by the American Council of the Blind
Be A Part of ACB
The American Council of the Blind™ is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at 1-800-424-8666.
Contribute to Our Work
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6200 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 155, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB by the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
Check in with ACB
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the “Washington Connection” 24/7 at 1-800-424-8666, or read it online.
© 2023 American Council of the Blind
Dan Spoone, Interim Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
225 Reinekers Ln., Suite 660, Alexandria, VA 22314
Table of Contents
- President’s Message: Volunteering Your Way to Employment, by Deb Cook Lewis
- Convention 2024: Traveling to Jacksonville, by Janet Dickelman
- Summary of the June 30, 2023 ACB Board Meeting, by Penny Reeder
- ACB Membership Seminar: Benefits of Partnerships for Membership Growth, compiled by Ardis Bazyn
- A Call to Action: White Cane Day, by Anthony Corona
- APH ConnectCenter Provides Information on Employment — And a Whole Lot More, by Lori Scharff
- Reasonable Accommodation and Assistance Dogs in the Workplace, by Ed and Toni Eames
- Olegario D. Cantos VII, A Man for All the People, by Charles D. Nabarrete
- United Becomes First U.S. Airline to Add Braille to Aircraft Cabin Interiors
- In Memoriam: Dr. Ronald Earl Milliman
- Readers’ Memories of Dr. Ronald E. Milliman
- Here and There, edited by Cynthia G. Hawkins
- High Tech Swap Shop
- ACB Officers, ACB Board of Directors, ACB Board of Publications
- Accessing Your ACB Braille and E-Forums
Upcoming Forum Themes and Deadlines
December 2023: International Relations Committee; deadline: October 24, 2023
January 2024: braille/reflections on 2023/goal-setting for the new year; deadline: November 20, 2023
February 2024: accessible voting, civil rights and black history; deadline: December 22, 2023
Are You Moving? Do You Want to Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, [email protected]. Give her the information, and she’ll make the changes for you.