ACB Ohio Scholarships
The American Council of the Blind of Ohio offers six scholarships each academic year. The application and reference forms may be downloaded using the links below or can be requested by calling (614) 221-6688 or 1-800-835-2226.
The scholarships are as follows:
- Friends of Freshman Scholarship — $1,000: offered to an incoming college freshman who is blind or visually impaired.
- Max Edelman Scholarship — $2,000: offered to a legally blind undergraduate student in any field of study.
- David Newmeyer Scholarship — $2,000: offered to a legally blind undergraduate student in any field of study.
- Joann Fischer Scholarship — $2,500: offered to a legally blind graduate student in any field of study.
- Linwood Walker Scholarship — $2,500: offered to a legally blind graduate student in a service-related field (e.g. teaching, health, public administration, etc.)
- Nola Webb-McKinney Scholarship — $2,000: offered to a blind or sighted graduate or undergraduate student pursuing a degree in a blindness-related area (e.g. special education, rehabilitation, teaching or counseling, orientation and mobility, or concentrating in programs serving persons who are blind or visually impaired).
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be an Ohio resident or attend an Ohio school in a two-year or more post-secondary degree program;
- Be legally blind (except the Nola Webb-McKinney Scholarship);
- Have a 3.0 or higher GPA on a 4.0 scale; and
- Be willing to attend the 2016 ACBO convention’s Saturday workshops.
Past scholarship recipients may reapply. A current scholarship application must be completed each year to be considered. In addition to the application, applicants must provide three letters of reference, an official transcript, and a current eye report. The degree of financial need is not the sole determinant in the selection process.
All scholarship winners are required to attend Saturday workshops during the annual ACBO convention, to be held Oct. 21-23, 2016. The cost of the convention, including meals, workshops, and hotel accommodations, is covered for each recipient. We also cover the cost of lunch on Saturday for two guests per scholarship recipient.
To download the application, visit www.acbohio.org/convention/scholarships/requirements.html. Completed application packets should be mailed no later than Aug. 1 to ACB Ohio Scholarship Committee, 3805 N. High St., Suite 305, Columbus, OH 43214, or e-mailed to [email protected].