This document is divided into two sections: rules, which must be followed and requests, which constitute common courtesies.
1. Subscribing and unsubscribing.
A. For authorization to post on this list, a subscription request must be made to email@example.com or, you may visit the acb-chat list info page at https://www.acb.org/mailman/listinfo/acb-chat Approval may take up to three days to be processed.
B. To unsubscribe yourself from the list, you may send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org
A. Messages must contain either the poster's name or a consistent unique identifier.
B. A post on this List can be either an original message, a reply to a previous post, or a properly attributed article from a secondary source.
C. Discretion must be used when forwarding material written by others. The identity of authorship must be shown. If what you are forwarding is from a publication, the name of the publication, the author of the article, and the date it was written should be included. When possible, the link to the article on the web should also be included.
D. There are very few restrictions regarding topics of discussion on the ACB-Chat list. Post must not be in violation of section four of these rules. In general, that means no strong language and no explicit descriptions of sex.
E. It is okay to post well wishes to the list during occasions such as holidays, however, such posts can quickly become excessive in number. Post privately if you wish to return good will to a specific individual.
F. Read receipt requests must not be sent to the List.
3. message replies
A. To reply to an ACB-chat message, simply invoke the reply command, (such as CTRL R).
B. To reply only to the poster of an ACB-chat mesage, you must put the poster's email address into the to field. IF the email address of the poster does not appear in the message, go to the properties dialogue, (alt-enter) and click on the details tab. This will reveal message headers including the email address of the poster of the message.
4. moderator responsibilities, and how they will effect list participants
A. Violation of any List Rule will result in either a warning, on or off List, or a suspension. The first suspension will last for one week. The second suspension will be for 30 days. The third suspension will last for one year. A fourth suspension would begin the cycle again. If a first or second suspension has been received, and 24 months passed without a further suspension, the suspension counter will be reset to zero.
B. A personal attack will be grounds for immediate action by the Moderator. The first attack will result in a warning or suspension at the discretion of the moderator. Subsequent personal attacks will result in an immediate ban as outlined in section 4 A.
C. Using mild profanity in moderation will not result in a suspension, but it is offensive to some List participants and there are children subscribed to the List.
D. Other uses of profanity, and the posting of sexually explicit material, will be grounds for immediate action by the Moderator.
E. Swearing at individuals or groups of individuals, either with swear words, or with language which can be reasonably construed to imply swear words, will be grounds for an immediate suspension.
1. Please remember that this is a public list which is subject to public scrutiny. We expect that all list members will exercise discretion when posting any information of a personal nature to this list.
2. When replying to messages on List, do not include the previous post, unless it must be retained for context.
3. Keep the subject line relevant to the message body, It is both considerate and helpful to change the subject line of a message to which you are replying if you suspect your reply may generate a new topic of conversation.
4. Criticism, however strident, is permitted, but a spirit of civility is expected.
5. Please limit posting to ten posts per day.
6. While forwards of newspaper and magazine articles as well as other items of interest are welcome on the ACB-chat list, please keep in mind the following guidelines:
A. Remove all extraneous headers which cause major clutter for users of screen readers and screen magnification software.
B. All forwarded links should be accompanied by either an explanation or some or all of the text contained within.
C. Please explain the relevance of the forward to this list.
7. The Internet Oversight Committee manages this List. We want it to be a place where people can share information and enjoy talking with each other. If you have questions or concerns, feel free to communicate with the List Moderator at
These rules have been designed and approved for the ACB-Chat list by the Internet Oversight Committee. The Board of Publications has adopted them. Please note that these rules are modeled after those created and approved for ACB-L.
Internet Oversight Committee Members:
Bob Hachey, Chair, Massachusetts
Ann K. Parsons, New York
Abby Vincent, California
Kevin Minor, Kentucky
BOP Representative, Denise Colley, Washington
Officer Liaison, Kim Charlson, Massachusetts
Last Updated: September, 2013. _____________
internet mailing list
This web page was last updated March 10, 2014.